Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Introduction to Fairhaven College, Introduction to Me

Hey. I’m Jenna. I am a first year student at Fairhaven College and I’ve lived in Bellingham for most of my life. I ended up staying here after much initial resistance (little did I know that when I was little and told my parents I would go to Western “because I never wanted to move away from them,” the first part would be true).

I am SUPER happy with my decision. I love it here. The other day I was walking around campus and suddenly got the urge to have a big spoon to eat it all up: my excitement was that tangible! And at Fairhaven, I get the small class sizes and experience of a liberal arts education for a state school price. I can also spend a semester at any of their sister schools, which probably means I will spend some time at Hampshire College in MA. Right now, I am taking the Five Senses Critical and Inquiry class and Applied Human Ecology at Fairhaven, as well as Honors 103 [Major Cultural Traditions] on main campus.

I am interested in philosophy, art, finding patterns, asking questions, contrasting cultures, psychology, nutrition, wellness, forms of personal expression, yoga, hiking, sustainable living practices, dance parties, day dreaming, going to bookstores or the public library, parks, swings, and sunny days, writing, hugs, new experiences, stars, the universe, most social sciences, exploring and funny stories.

One thing that really screams Fairhaven to me is a sign I saw posted on one of the bulletin boards. It read:
FRESHMAN- if any of you are not reading your copy of The Omnivore’s Dilemma please give it to me. [phone number] P.S. We could be friends!!!

Fairhaven IS different… but in a good way. It is the difference we need! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment