Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Who I am

Sorry everybody, I realized that I started posting already and most of you don't even know who I am!

My name is Alekz and I am a Junior at Western Washington University and am a Fairhaven student making a concentration through the Law, Diversity and Justice program. I will be focusing my concentration, more than likely, around how race is involved in the law and legal issues.

I have been on the executive board for the Mixed Identity Student Organization for the past 2 years and am now currently the President. I am a coordinator for the Social Issues Resource Center which is located in VU 512. Overall, I am just a really passionate, and dedicated person who works really hard to educate himself on issues that people handle on a daily basis.

I chose Western because coming out of high school I really wanted to become a high school English teacher. Unfortunately, my dream was kind of crushed after taking the required English 101 class. So I started looking at other alternatives and through the Western Leadership Advantage program on campus, I came into contact with Fairhaven College. I immediately fell in love and decided that Fairhaven was for me. So I talked to my Woodring College of Education advisor and told him what I wanted to do and unfortunately he told me that because No Child Left Behind required teachers to be "highly qualified" I needed to have an approved/distinguished major from the University (i.e. English, Math, Science, Sociology, etc). So I had to make a decision, continue on the path to becoming a teacher or do something that I know I will enjoy and will make my learning experience more holistic? I chose Fairhaven and have been extremely satisfied with my decision ever since.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alekz,
    Thank you for sharing your academic journey with us. It is always fun to learn more about the personalities and experiences outside of class. You are so insightful and motivated that I know you will find a marvelous way to contribute to those around you. Teaching is an admirable path but there are so many other ways you can help others. Good luck finding your path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alekz, As a teacher for 20+ years, trust me when I tell you that, if you want to teach there will be a way. Don't be surprised if No Child Left Behind is just another bump in the road. Don't let current guidelines narrow your options. Good luck! B.Liles

    ReplyDelete