Sunday, October 25, 2009

I Be Happy Today :D


Dear Blog Followers,
Today I feel super fantastically alive. I went to a potluck brunch at the Oasis in the morning where we enjoyed plenty of fall foods. I was invited by the Oasis community (an eco friendly, intentional living space off campus) as part of my Human Ecology class. It was literary a feast with apple butters, crisp, oatmeal, pumpkin waffles, fruit salad, banana and pumpkins breads, deviled eggs, coffee, tea, home pressed cider, and much more. Before serving ourselves we stood in a circle holding hands and chanted om several times together before breaking with a hand squeeze passed around the entire circle.
Afterwards, I walked over to the Outback, Western’s community garden to take part in the work party they have every Sunday from 11-midafternoon. Riding off of the positive energy of the food, I had the best time gardening ever. This summer I was supposed to do yard work for my parents and I dreaded it, but in the Outback it is fun and I get to live my values, working to live with the land. Projects that would take forever with one person take as little as an hour with many hands digging and moving. Plus we can talk, sing, and yell a celebratory cry whenever we toss another piece of cardboard into the pile, ready to be used for *sheet mulching. At the end of the work party I even got to take home some beautiful kale, chard, and carrots! I am going to take these vegetables over to my friend’s house to cook for another potluck in our 201 class: The Five Senses (this class is part of the Fairhaven core). I am really excited because this saves money I was anticipating spending on groceries and will provide a delicious and organic contribution to our class eating festivities. I am really starting to feel linked in to Fairhaven by growing, cooking, and eating food with my follow students and teachers. It is such a wonderful feeling because Western itself is very, very large.

No comments:

Post a Comment