Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fairhaven classes build community

Finished up my first day of classes today. Well, class to be more accurate. As a Fairhaven student with interests in politics, I have taken a number of classes in the Political Science Department, and it’s always interesting to me how the dynamic shifts when I’m not in a Fairhaven class.

Instead of walking into a main campus class and maybe recognizing a face from another class, I consistently find myself in classes with people I have begun to get to know (and people I know very well) through the tighter knit Fairhaven community. Instead of eventually learning the name of the person who sits next to me, Fairhaven classes provide instant introductions and many teachers provide some kind of group activity or discussion that instantly gives you a sense of your fellow classmates. Instead of feeling like a number, I feel like a person.

That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy my classes on main campus, but most of them lack a sense of community. Even the seminar classes I have taken don’t really compare in terms of community to the “Fairhaven circles” I have become so accustomed to. The good classes come close, but I always end them with the sense that something is missing.

PS: This is the Fairhaven blog. I hope you enjoy and would love any comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment