Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Concentrated studies

School has begun to take over. It's not so much that I'm ridiculously busy, because I'm not. It's more just that I look at the work I have for next day of school and it's just so intimidating. Eventually I psych myself up for it and get it done in a reasonable amount of time, but until I do that I'm stuck thinking about how I have to do it - and that is certainly the worst part.

In any case, lately I've been spending time thinking about what I want to concentrate in. Over the past few months I have come to a conclusion, and so this quarter I am taking the Writing Portfolio and Transition conference, which is basicially Fairhaven's equivalent of writing proficiency. It also signifies moving out of exploratory studies and into concentrated studies. My studies have always been pretty concentrated though, as I came into college with a pretty good general idea of what I was interested in.

It's crazy to think that after less than two years of school I already have nearly 100 credits, when you only need 180 to graduate. Over the past week I have declared my majors (Political Science, and a Fairhaven Concentration). Next quarter I plan to take the concentration seminar, and design my concentration and I hardly feel like I've been in college that long.

I guess that's the sign of a good college experience - you hardly realize it's going by. That's easy for me to say right now though, as I sit at home. Hit me up in the middle of a lecture class and I might be telling a different story.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think most students know what they want to study when they come to Fairhaven? Can students "succeed" here without knowing right away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of my peers came into Fairhaven with a general idea of what they wanted to study, but people who don't know what they want to study are certainly not the exception to the rule. Indeed, I've met plenty of people who have a tremendous amount of difficulty figuring out what they don't want to study.

    Anyone who wants to learn can "succeed" at Fairhaven - maybe not in the four years expected of you (but that's true of Western in general) - but the freedom to take exploratory studies in whatever direction intrigues you certainly allows Fairhaven students to take their time figuring out what they want to study.

    ReplyDelete